Date: 22 June 1972
Place: Johannesburg Magistrates Court
Case No: Body 399/171
Magistrate J.J. L. de Villiers
Rand Daily Mail, June 23 1972
Findings in terms of Article 16 of Act 58 of 1959 are:
- The identity of the deceased is Ahmed Essop Timol, an Asian male, 29 years old, a born South African, teacher of profession.
- Date of death: 27 October 1971.
- Cause or probable cause of the death: The deceased died because of serious brain damage and loss of blood sustained when he jumped out of a window of Room 1026 at John Vorster Square and fell to the ground on the southern side of the building. He committed suicide.
No living person is responsible for his death.
Date: 24th August 2017
Place: High Court of South Africa, Gauteng Division, Pretoria
Case No: I01-2017
I need to come back then with an answer to Section 16 of the Act, Section 16 specifically requires me to answer four questions.
(1) The identity of the deceased, that is not in dispute.
(2) The date of death, that also is not in dispute.
(3) The cause of death of the deceased and the manner in which it occurred. The cause of death is not in dispute, all the doctors agree, but the circumstances are the area in which I need to go in.
And the fourth question is whether any person can be held liable for that and if so, I must refer to that person