News

February 25, 2019

Opinionista • Nel Marais • 25 February 2019

Dr Nel Marais served in South African intelligence structures from 1984 to 2000. He is the founder of Thabiti, an international risk advisory company that focuses on sub-Saharan Africa.

Apartheid’s intelligence structures had virtual carte blanche – they tabled the information that led to the incarceration, disappearance, torture and murder of opponents, whether these enemies were real or perceived. This would have been impossible had they not been aided by hundreds of informants, both within and outside the liberation movements, whose identities remain a secret. In many cases, their deceit continues to impact on political, social and business relations.

In 1994, shortly after President Nelson Mandela had become South Africa’s first democratically elected head of state, he had a very blunt discussion with his security chiefs — many of them survivors from the former apartheid structures, although all the whites had by then acquired ANC cadres as their second-in-command colleagues.

As was his nature, Mandela’s request was straightforward, but the implications were Byzantine. He wanted to know, first, who had served as sources of information for the former intelligence structures in South Africa — Military Intelligence, SA Police (Security Branch) and the National Intelligence Service (NIS).

Read more…
February 24, 2019

BY ERNEST MABUZA – 20 February 2019

Former apartheid-era police administrator, Jan Rodrigues gives testimony at the inquest into the death of Ahmed Timol. Rodrigues was the last person to see Timol alive. Picture: Alaister Russell/The Times

Joao Rodrigues, the man accused of being involved in the murder of anti-apartheid activist Ahmed Timol, cannot complain about the delay in his prosecution as the case was only instituted last year.

This was put forward in heads of argument filed by Imtiaz Cajee, Timol’s nephew, as he opposes an application for a permanent stay of prosecution by Rodrigues.

Timol died in 1971 after falling from the 10th floor of the then John Vorster Square police station in Johannesburg, where he had been detained.

While the original inquest in 1972 concluded that Timol committed suicide, the reopened inquest in 2017 found that his death was caused by being pushed. It also recommended that Rodriques be investigated.

Rodrigues was charged in July 2018.

In their heads of argument submitted last Friday, advocates for Rodrigues said the basis for his application for a permanent stay of prosecution was that the prosecution would  infringe on his right to have a trial begin and be concluded without unreasonable delay.

But in a response filed at the Johannesburg high court on Monday, Cajee’s legal representative said no complaint of delay, prejudice or violation of fair trial rights could be raised by Rodrigues, given that the criminal proceedings only commenced in June 2018.

Read more…
February 12, 2019

2019-02-11 22:33

Jenna Etheridge

The Nelson Mandela Foundation (NMF) says the State must take the recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) seriously if the country is to move forward.

In a statement at the weekend, the foundation said the fact that there had been no formal response to the TRC recommendations was “symptomatic”.

It felt that very little ‘full disclosure’ had taken place, that reparations had been inadequate and poorly implemented, and prosecutions had not been forthcoming.

The Nelson Mandela Foundation (NMF) says the State must take the recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) seriously if the country is to move forward.

Read more…
February 09, 2019
February 03, 2019

MEDIA STATEMENT ISSUED BY THE NICODEMUS KGOATHE FAMILY – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

4 February 2019 marks the 50th anniversary of the passing away of Nicodemus Kgoathe, Solomon Modipane (28 February) and several others from Hebron who were detained under the Terrorism Act of 1967.

Later this year, media will be invited to join the Kgoathe family as we celebrate the life of our father, grandfather and great-grandfather Nicodemus Kgoathe and also remember his fellow Tribal Committee Members in a commemorative event which we are planning for.

The Kgoathe family remain inspired by the story of Ahmed Timol and the relentless quest by his family to find the truth about his death. Timol’s nephew Imtiaz Cajee is a resilient and selfless support to us, volunteering to assist the family in seeking the truth behind the events that led to the arrest and subsequent death of Nicodemus. Thus far we have begun the process, through continuous engagements with the NPA and several others who may hold pieces of truth, to revisit the circumstances under which Nicodemus Kgoathe died in 1969.

Read more…
January 31, 2019


29 JANUARY, 2019 Zubeida Jaffer

Fifty years ago, in 1969, seven men were killed in detention for their political beliefs. The family of the seventh man is about to launch a campaign to bring attention to these freedom fighters known by few South Africans.

The seventh man, the last to die in 1969, Imam Abdullah Haron, then editor of Muslim News, was brutally killed on 27 September 1969.  His three children, Shamela Shamis, Muhammed Haron, and Fatima Haron-Masoet have stepped out of the shadows in a bid to ensure they will not be forgotten.

On their father’s birthday on 8 February 2019, they will launch a campaign and hope to face the media with some of the other families similarly affected 50 years ago. Those are the families of Nicodemus Kgoathe, Solomon Modipane, Jame Lenkoe, Caleb Mayekiso, Michael Shivute, and Jacob Manakgotla.

“We want to remember and recall the Imam’s brutal killing at the hands of the notorious Security Branch as well as those of others that year and subsequently,” said his son, Dr Muhammed Haron, a senior academic at the University of Botswana.  “They strove for justice individually and communally and transcended obstacles and barriers impeding society in attaining it,” he said. “Justice delayed is justice denied.”

Read more…
January 29, 2019

TIMOL – A QUEST FOR JUSTICE

Download Foreword by Thabo Mbeki: TIMOL – A QUEST FOR JUSTICE

January 29, 2019

SABC Digital NewsPublished on Jan 28, 2019 SUBSCRIBE 445K Former security branch police officer Joao Rodriques will make submissions in March detailing why the charges against him should be dismissed. It relates to the 1971 murder of Anti-Apartheid Activist Ahmed Timol. Initially, a 1972 inquest ruled Timol’s death a suicide. Last year the Pretoria High Court overturned this to murder.

Read more…
January 27, 2019
January 27, 2019

The court case of murdered anti-apartheid activist Ahmed Timol resumes at the PALMRIDGE HIGH COURT on Monday, 28th January 2019 at 10:00 in Court Room DC6.  

During the historical re-opening of the Timol Inquest, Judge Mothle on 12th October 2017 in a landmark judgment, reversed the 1972 inquest finding of suicide and found that Timol was murdered by the state. He recommended that the National Prosecution Authority (NPA) investigate the role played by the surviving state officials implicated in Timol’s death, Joao Jan Roderigues and former Security Branch Officers Neville Els and Seth Sons. (Investigations into the conduct of Els and Sons are still continuing 15 months later).

Roderiques appeared in court on 30th July 2018, almost nine months after Mothle’s ruling in October 2017, informing the court of his intention to plead not guilty to the charges of murder and defeating and/or obstructing the course of justice. In a move to further obstruct justice, his legal team applied for a permanent stay of prosecution against their client, on the basis that due to his age and the lengthy delays on the part of the State (South African Police and NPA) to have respectively investigated and prosecuted this matter, charges be withdrawn against him.

Read more…