Author Archive

February 12, 2019

2019-02-11 22:33

Jenna Etheridge

The Nelson Mandela Foundation (NMF) says the State must take the recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) seriously if the country is to move forward.

In a statement at the weekend, the foundation said the fact that there had been no formal response to the TRC recommendations was “symptomatic”.

It felt that very little ‘full disclosure’ had taken place, that reparations had been inadequate and poorly implemented, and prosecutions had not been forthcoming.

The Nelson Mandela Foundation (NMF) says the State must take the recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) seriously if the country is to move forward.

Read more…
February 09, 2019
February 03, 2019

MEDIA STATEMENT ISSUED BY THE NICODEMUS KGOATHE FAMILY – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

4 February 2019 marks the 50th anniversary of the passing away of Nicodemus Kgoathe, Solomon Modipane (28 February) and several others from Hebron who were detained under the Terrorism Act of 1967.

Later this year, media will be invited to join the Kgoathe family as we celebrate the life of our father, grandfather and great-grandfather Nicodemus Kgoathe and also remember his fellow Tribal Committee Members in a commemorative event which we are planning for.

The Kgoathe family remain inspired by the story of Ahmed Timol and the relentless quest by his family to find the truth about his death. Timol’s nephew Imtiaz Cajee is a resilient and selfless support to us, volunteering to assist the family in seeking the truth behind the events that led to the arrest and subsequent death of Nicodemus. Thus far we have begun the process, through continuous engagements with the NPA and several others who may hold pieces of truth, to revisit the circumstances under which Nicodemus Kgoathe died in 1969.

Read more…
January 31, 2019


29 JANUARY, 2019 Zubeida Jaffer

Fifty years ago, in 1969, seven men were killed in detention for their political beliefs. The family of the seventh man is about to launch a campaign to bring attention to these freedom fighters known by few South Africans.

The seventh man, the last to die in 1969, Imam Abdullah Haron, then editor of Muslim News, was brutally killed on 27 September 1969.  His three children, Shamela Shamis, Muhammed Haron, and Fatima Haron-Masoet have stepped out of the shadows in a bid to ensure they will not be forgotten.

On their father’s birthday on 8 February 2019, they will launch a campaign and hope to face the media with some of the other families similarly affected 50 years ago. Those are the families of Nicodemus Kgoathe, Solomon Modipane, Jame Lenkoe, Caleb Mayekiso, Michael Shivute, and Jacob Manakgotla.

“We want to remember and recall the Imam’s brutal killing at the hands of the notorious Security Branch as well as those of others that year and subsequently,” said his son, Dr Muhammed Haron, a senior academic at the University of Botswana.  “They strove for justice individually and communally and transcended obstacles and barriers impeding society in attaining it,” he said. “Justice delayed is justice denied.”

Read more…
January 29, 2019

TIMOL – A QUEST FOR JUSTICE

Download Foreword by Thabo Mbeki: TIMOL – A QUEST FOR JUSTICE

January 29, 2019

SABC Digital NewsPublished on Jan 28, 2019 SUBSCRIBE 445K Former security branch police officer Joao Rodriques will make submissions in March detailing why the charges against him should be dismissed. It relates to the 1971 murder of Anti-Apartheid Activist Ahmed Timol. Initially, a 1972 inquest ruled Timol’s death a suicide. Last year the Pretoria High Court overturned this to murder.

Read more…
January 27, 2019
January 27, 2019

The court case of murdered anti-apartheid activist Ahmed Timol resumes at the PALMRIDGE HIGH COURT on Monday, 28th January 2019 at 10:00 in Court Room DC6.  

During the historical re-opening of the Timol Inquest, Judge Mothle on 12th October 2017 in a landmark judgment, reversed the 1972 inquest finding of suicide and found that Timol was murdered by the state. He recommended that the National Prosecution Authority (NPA) investigate the role played by the surviving state officials implicated in Timol’s death, Joao Jan Roderigues and former Security Branch Officers Neville Els and Seth Sons. (Investigations into the conduct of Els and Sons are still continuing 15 months later).

Roderiques appeared in court on 30th July 2018, almost nine months after Mothle’s ruling in October 2017, informing the court of his intention to plead not guilty to the charges of murder and defeating and/or obstructing the course of justice. In a move to further obstruct justice, his legal team applied for a permanent stay of prosecution against their client, on the basis that due to his age and the lengthy delays on the part of the State (South African Police and NPA) to have respectively investigated and prosecuted this matter, charges be withdrawn against him.

Read more…
January 20, 2019

NEW: 19 February 2019 Heads of Argument

Applicants-written-submissions-Rodrigues.pdf

Respondent’s-NDPP-Min-of-Police-Heads-of-Argument-18-February-2019.pdf

Cajee 4th-Respondent_s-final-HOA.pdf

Timol-Practice-Note-Final-PDF

05 February 2019 – Responding Affidavits

Pretorius-Supplementary-Affidavit-pages-1-to-44.pdf

Macadam-Affidavit-Annexures.pdf

Annexes-SA2-to-RCM18-to-Pretorius-Supplementary-Affidavit.pdf

Mabina-Samuel-Mahlangu-SAPS-1.pdf

25 January 2019: Heads of Argument and Supplementary Affidavit

Timol-HOA-FINAL1.pdf

Cajee Supplementary-affidavit.pdf

Minister of Justice & Correctional Services.pdf

13 January 2019: The confirmatory affidavits of Vusumzi Patrick Pikoli, Anton Rossouw Ackermann, Frank Kennan Dutton and Moray Hathorn to the 4th Respondent’s answering affidavit in the main application.

Confirmatory-affidavits-delivered.pdf

09 January 2019: Timol’s Nephew Files Answering Affidavit

Court-stamped-filing-sheet.pdf

Cajee-founding-afffidavit.pdf

Pigou-supporting-affidavit.pdf

Annexures-IC1-IC7.pdf

Annexures-IC8-IC24.pdf

Read more…
January 20, 2019

South African troops pulling out of Angola in 1988. The SAIMR militia claimed to be anti-communist. Photograph: Sipa/Rex

Emma Graham-Harrison, Andreas Rocksen and Mads Brügger. Sun 20 Jan 2019 11.07 GMTFirst published on Sun 20 Jan 2019 08.00 GMT

A South African militia that claimed to be behind the murder of a UN chief was involved in deadly work across the continent, its members say

Keith Maxwell, the self-declared “commodore” of the South African Institute for Maritime Research (SAIMR), liked to dress up on special occasions in the garish costume of a 18th-century admiral, with a three-cornered hat, brass buttons and a cutlass. Ordinary members of his organisation were expected to show up in crisp naval whites.

Gathered together in upmarket restaurants, or the quiet of the Wemmer Pan naval base in south-central Johannesburg, they had the air of eccentric history buffs. Maxwell talked about the group’s roots in a Napoleonic-era treasure-hunting syndicate, and told outsiders it was still focused on deep-sea exploration.

But appearances were deceptive. Beneath the bizarre trappings lurked a powerful mercenary outfit that members claim was entwined with the apartheid state and offered soldiers for hire across the continent.

“It was clandestine operations. We were involved in coups, taking over countries for other leaders,” said Alexander Jones, who has detailed his years as an intelligence officer with the group. SAIMR’s leaders described themselves as “anti-communist” to him at the time but the group was underpinned by racism, he said. “We were trying to retain the white supremacy on the African continent.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/20/south-africa-weird-sinister-apartheid-mercenary-saimr-keith-maxwell?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_WhatsApp

Read more…